Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to School

The end of summer always feels to me like a combination of "the party's over" and "Let's get this party started." Our thoughts may lag behind while our commitments tug us forward.

I left my book in Hawaii
On a beach in the sand somewhere,
I was suposed to practice my spelling,
But I just couldn't concentrate there.

The oceans whispered, "Come surfing,"
The beaches bechoned, "Come play."
I followed the sound of their voices,
And I threw my spelling away.

For a week I rode the free winds,
As I surfed a wide blue sea;
And the sound of the ocean breathing
Became a part of me.

I'm sorry, Ms. Jones, I forgot it,
On a beach in the sand somewhere,
How I wish that book was remembered, 
And I'd been forgotten there.
              I left My Book in Hawaii
              by Kalli Dakos, Peoms About School


The last days of August are a good time to sort through summer memories looking for gems to carry forward into the renwed energy of fall.
What were some of your highlights?  Do you have a photo or two that you can stick up on a wall or screen near where you work to look over and put yourself back in a "mini-break" of remembered relaxation?


Mine will definately be camp and wedding photos!

Meanwhile, its time to do a fall tune-up: work through through the list of school supplies, set up catch up appointments, straighten the desk (don't forget to add those summer photos or a sea shell or two!)

Is your Head on Nice and Tight?
Do your kneecpas fit just right,
Did you shine up all your skin,
And bring your belly button in?

Have you lost a toe or two
And could your brain be overdue?
Please look in the Lost and Found,
If your ears are not around. 
Students must remember parts,
Be they books for pens or hearts.
How can your school day begin
If you're searching for your chin?
               Is Your Head on Nice and Tight?
               by Kalli Dakos, Poems About School

Is my head on straight?
Have I left space for deep breathes and time for people who matter to me?
Is my soul is good working order?
What arrangements do I need to make for God in my life each day as sunlight shortens?










No comments:

Post a Comment